Student Membership Benefits
As entry-level students divers, students are often not aware of all the safety aspects and the possible risks associated with diving. To cater specifically for these needs, DAN has developed the student membership package. Now you can ensure your students are safe from their first breath as divers.
Important Cover Benefit Notes
- DAN must be contacted in the event of a medical emergency to access benefits in the event of any diving injury.
- DAN benefits are limited and there to assist in an emergency. If your DAN membership benefits are depleted due to an emergency, DAN will arrange for expenses to be covered by any other travel or medical insurance(s) you may have.
- Lost or damaged diving gear is only covered if it was lost or damaged as a direct result of a valid, DAN registered accident or evacuation. To ensure cover, DAN must be contacted in the event of any covered emergency or loss.
- As with insurance companies, there are specific conditions and exclusions which apply. Please make sure that you understand these and have read the terms and conditions carefully .
Membership Benefits Overview
Student Membership provides the possibility of peace of mind for your students. The benefits and specifications related to the Student Membership are listed below. The membership benefits listed below are applicable to the entry-level diver and not the dive instructor.
|EMERGENCY MEDICAL BENEFITS||EXCESS||COVER LIMIT|
|Medical and Related Expenses for a Diving-Related Injury or Illness||-||R300,000|
|Follow-up Treatment for diving medical specialty treatments||-||-|
|INTERNATIONAL JOURNEY BENEFITS||EXCESS||COVER LIMIT|
|Emergency Medical Evacuation||-||Real Expense|
|Medical and related Expenses for a Non-Diving Related Injury of Illness||-||-|
|Follow-up Treatment (within 30 days of original injury)||-||-|
|Hospital Confinement benefit of R200 per day||-||-|
|LOCAL JOURNEY BENEFITS||EXCESS||COVER LIMIT|
|Emergency evacuation for non-diving injuries (to the nearest, appropriate facility)||-||-|
|Medical and Related Expenses for Non-Diving Related Injuries or Illness||-||-|
|Hospital Confinement (R200 per day for a maximum of 10 days)||-||-|
|ICU Confinement (R200 per day for a maximum of 10 days)||-||-|
|BENEFICIARY BENEFITS||EXCESS||COVER LIMIT|
|Diving Related Death||-||R15,000|
|Diving Related Disability||-||R15,000|
|EMERGENCY ASSISTANCE SERVICES||EXCESS||COVER LIMIT|
|Assistance Service||-||Assistance Only|
|Cash Assistance||-||Assistance Only|
|Consular Referral||-||Assistance Only|
|Emergency travel and accommodation arrangements||-||Assistance Only|
|Transmission of urgent messages||-||Assistance Only|
|Accompanying Relative||-||Assistance Only|
|Return of Children||-||Assistance Only|
|Return of Travel Companion||-||Assistance Only|
|Return in case of Death or Imminent Death of a Relative of Business||-||Assistance Only|
|Legal Assistance Abroad||-||Assistance Only|
|Return of Mortal Remains||-||Real Expense|
|Search & Rescue Funds||-||-|
|Medical evacuation, repatriation expenses or transport to medical centre expenses||-||R100,000|
|DIVING APPARATUS LOSS||EXCESS||COVER LIMIT|
|Loss of diving apparatus as a direct result of an emergency medical evacuation||-||-|
|PERSONAL LIABILITY||EXCESS||COVER LIMIT|
|Bodily Injury/Material Damage||-||-|
What is not covered?
Membership benefits are restricted to diving-related emergencies. The following summarises the most notable exclusions.
- Cardiac disease, cardiovascular disease, vascular disease or cerebro vascular disease or sequelae or complications thereof, except where these have, in the opinion of the DAN physician, been caused by a diving-related AGE
- Any back pain or back injury, whether acute or chronic, including back pain with neurological involvement and/or immobility (but not spinal cord decompression sickness or traumatic vertebral fractures of normal vertebrae)
- Any pre-existing medical conditions
- Participation in endurance dives or dives involving attempts at breaking a depth or time record 2
- Water-borne or other aquatic infections, including, but not limited to, swimmer’s ear and skin infections
- Related to any one of the following conditions:
- Myocardial infarction due to Ischemic heart disease
- Vertebral disk hernias
- Breaking or rupturing subcutaneous tendons
Resource for Entry-Level Students
As you continue to take “giant strides” in your mastery of diving, consider this guide your “stable platform” – an introduction to key concepts and an ongoing resource to hone your and your students skills.