Buddy Systems & the deception of good viz

What's wrong with this picture...?
No, not the composition... What is wrong with the divers in the picture...? There doesn't seem to be a Buddy System in place, does there...?

This picture was taken in South Africa, and the situation is not the exception. A recent diving fatality has brought the importance of the Buddy System back into sharp focus!

Criticism is always easy, and we all make mistakes. Unfortunately, it is often only when an injury or fatality occurs that attention is drawn to a particular issue - and then frequently only passingly... We all teach Dive Buddy systems, but somehow we don't always seem to follow them - especially when the viz is good. Why not? What is behind this? Are we simply careless, independent or undisciplined...? Or is there more to the story...?

So the question is:
Why do buddy systems fail - especially in good viz?
How close is close enough when the visibility is so clear?

We would really like to get your views on this. We don't want a simple "diver's should..." response. We would really like more of a "diver's don't follow the Buddy System because..." response. In fact, why not make it "why I myself sometimes don't..." Let's be real about this, so we can change...

To contribute your thoughts, click here to give us your views.
Posted in

12 Comments

Arthur Coulter - March 26th, 2015 at 5:12pm

Divers don't follow the buddy system when the dive master guide has moved on from pointing out something interesting on the reef to the next one and now the divers are left to decide....do I follow immediately or do I stay and then fall behind? My buddy has seen it and being just below me has moved thinking I am within a few meters. The DM should shepard the group and not move on until everyone signals that they are happy to move. The DM may signal to divers constantly. ..where is your buddy? until it becomes or seems compulsary during the dive.

Jan Botha - March 26th, 2015 at 6:21pm

Diver's don't follow the buddy system because they get distracted by something they want to focus on - especially those who have cameras. When concentrating, and getting that one more shot or composition, the time seems to stand still. In the meantime the rest moves on or assume the buddy is where the buddy was a few seconds ago. It seems that a buddy does not swim away on purpose, but often gets stuck or left behind.

Gerard Cannoo - March 27th, 2015 at 2:07pm

After completing the survey I'd like to add a few thoughts... Yes, I've also done stupid things, dived alone, made my own equipment many years ago (a re-breather - without knowing how to correctly use it and oxygen closed system) and despite some very stupid things I've survived. Surprisingly or luckily?? I've also had some very bad experiences as a result... Looking at this and looking back, when navy diving and I was often the supervisor, the lone diver had a line attached and a code of 'pulls'. One pull - you OK? and the like... When doing hull searches divers were physically linked by a piece of cord around a meter long. These days I ask my dive buddy to ensure she or he is always within arms reach of me and if I'm unaware of his or her proximity I stop and find them. We tend to dive in a lead / follow or next to one another formation with the idea that both are equally aware of the near presence of the other whether in sight or not. While this is seen as 'paranoid' or 'too much' or 'overkill' by some friends; it is the condition I agree with my dive buddy or we don't dive. We also acknowledge we're no longer in our twenties and thus invincible! (We're late forties and early fifties). The couple of times I've been in a possible situation over the past few years, hand stuck in a hole, kit snagged, dropped or lost something and the like it has been clear, shallow, inshore or somewhere on the edge of "safe" and each time it could have ended in an incident or even badly - but because I was there my buddy didn't have an unpleasant experience and because he or she was there I didn't have an unpleasant experience! It's worth the bumps to know your buddy is in reach and as concerned for your safety as his or her own; and that any event will immediately be dealt with - you won't need to find or catch up... Hope this is of interest!

Bill Burstrom - April 4th, 2015 at 8:04pm

Too often Buddies are paired together who haven't dived together and established an understanding of what they expect. For instance, somebody who is used to a camera buddy will automatically bridge to the group and hurry his buddy along when necessary. There needs to be verbal communication on the surface about what is expected between buddies.

Tom Louw - June 30th, 2016 at 11:15am

On the topic of Buddy diving I would like to comment and also agree with the other divers. I have had the experience when diving in P.E where I did not have my regular Buddy with me(which is also a family member) .The DM has grouped us (About 12 divers) in pairs so each diver has a Buddy. Unfortunately I had an experienced diver who knew the diving environment.He went on his own and I had to try and keep up with him and not really enjoying the dive. The DM was in the front and I think that he assumed everybody is still in a group close by. I then decided to surface and return to the boat.End of my dive(Expensive)

Greg Lightcap Jr - May 18th, 2019 at 2:40pm

Divers don't follow the buddy system because it takes a level of discipline that is rare in the recreational diving environment. We have far too many deaths of divers who were alone when they died (86%). Whether

diving alone, seperated by carelessness, or seperated as a result of an emergency, the fact remains that relying on the buddy system as gas redundancy is unsafe. We need to either change the environment, change training, or require all divers have a dive buddy AND be carrying a redundant air source.

Categories

2018
 2016
After anaesthesia Air Quality Air exchange centre Altitude changes Altitude sickness Ama divers Anaerobic Metabolism Annual renewal Apnea Apnoea Arterial gas embolism Arthroscopic surgery Aurel hygiene BCD Badages Bag valve mask Bandaids Barbell back squat Bench press Bouyancy compensators Boyle's Law Boyle\'s Law Bradycardia Brain Breast Cancer Breath Hold Diving Breath hold Breath-hold Breathing Bruising Buoyancy Burnshield CGASA CMAS CO2 Cabin pressure Camera settings Cancer Remission Cancer treatments Cancer Cannabis and diving Cannabis Cape Town Dive Festival Carbon dioxide Cardio health Cardiomyopathy Charles' Law Charles\' Law Charles\\\' Law Charles\\\\\\\' Law Charles\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\' Law Chemotherapy Coastalexcursion Cold Water Cold care Cold Conservation Contaminants Corals Crohns disease Cutaneous decompression DAN Courses DAN Profile DAN Researchers DAN medics DAN report DCI DCS Decompressions sickness DCS DM training DReams Dalton's Law Dalton\'s Law Dalton\\\'s Law Dalton\\\\\\\'s Law Dalton\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s Law Deco dives Decompression Illness Decompression Sickness Decompression illsnes Decompression Diseases Dive Chamber Dive Instruction Dive Instructor Dive Pros Dive Research Dive Training Dive accidents Dive buddies Dive computers Dive gear Dive health Dive medicines Dive medicine Dive safety Dive staff Diveleader training Diveleaders Diver Profile Divers Alert Diving Kids Diving career Diving emergencies Diving guidelines Diving injuries Diving suspended Diving Domestic Donation Dr Rob Schneider Drysuit diving Drysuit valves Drysuits EAP Ear pressure Ear wax Ears injuries Education Emergency decompression Emergency plans Emergency underwater Oxygen Recompression Environmental impact Equipment care Exercise Extended divetime Extreme treatments Eye injuries FAQ Fatigue First Aid Equipment First Aid Training First Aid kits Fish Fitness Flying Francois Burman Free diving Freedive Training Freediver Freediving performance Gas Density Gas laws Gas mixes GasPerformance Gastric bypass Gordon Hiles HELP HIRA Haemorhoid treatment Health practitioner Heart Health Heart Helium High temperatures Hot Hydrate Hydrogen Hydrostatic pressure Hyperbaric Chamber Hyperbaric research Hypothermia Immine systems In Water Recompression Indian Ocean Inert gas Infections Instinct Instructors Insurance Integrated Physiology International travel International Irritation Kidneys Kids scubadiver Labour laws Legislation Leukemis Liability Risks Liability Life expectancy Lifestyle Low blood pressure Low volume masks Lung function Lung injuries Lung MOD Maintenance Mammalian Dive Response Mammalian effect Master scuba diver Maximum operating depth Medical Q Medical questionaire Medical statement Middle ear pressure Military front press Mixed Gas Mono Fins More pressure Mycobacterium marinum Nitrogen build up Nitrox No-decompression Non-rebreather Mask Normal Air Nosebleeds O2 providers O2 servicing OOxygen maintenance Ocean pollution Orbital implants Oronasal mask Oxygen Cylinder Oxygen Units Oxygen deficit Oxygen deicit Oxygen ears Oxygen equipment Oxygen masks Oxygen supply Oxygen therapy Oxygen P J Prinsloo PFI PJP Tech Part 3 Plastic Pneumothorax Pool Diving Press Release Provider course Pulmanologist Pulmonary Bleb Purge RAID South Africa Radio communications Rashes Recompression Remote areas Report incidents Rescue training Resume diving Risk assesments SABS 019 Safety Stop Safety Saturation Diving Save our seas Science Scuba Injury Scuba children Scuba dive Scuba health Scubalearners Skin Bends Skin outbreak Skin rash Snorkeling Snorkels Sodwana Bay Splits Squeezes Supplemental oxygen Surgeries Surgery Tattoes Technical Diving The Bends The truth Thermal Notions Tides Tips and trick Transplants Travel tips Travel Tweezers Unconsciousness Underwater photographer Underwater pho Vaccines Vagus nerve Valsalva manoeuvers Vasvagal Syncope Venting Washout treatments Weakness White balance Winter Work of Breathing Wound dressings Wreck dive Youth diver abrasion air-cushioned alert diver altitude anemia antibiotics antiseptics bandages bent-over barbell rows body art breathing air calories burn cardiovascular checklist chemo port child clearances closed circuit scuba currents cuts dead lift decompression algorithms decongestants dehydration dive injuries dive medicing dive ready child dive reflex dive tribe diver rescue diver training dive diving attraction doctors domestic travel dri-suits dry mucous membranes dry suits dry ear spaces elearning electrolyte imbalance electroytes emergency action plans emergency assessment equalizing exposure injuries flexible tubing frediving health hospital humidity immersion pulmonary edema (IPE join DAN knee longevity lower stress marine pathogens medical issues medical procedures medical risk assesment mental challenge minor illness mucous membranes nasal steroids nasal newdivers nitrogen bubbles off-gassed operating theatre operations orthopeadic outgas pain perforation physical challenges plasters post dive preserve rebreather mask rebreathers risk areas saturation scissors scuba equipment scuba single use sinus infections snorkeling. spearfishing stings strength sub-aquatic swimmers ears tattoo care tecnical diver thermal protection training trimix unified standards warmers water quality